Thursday, July 3, 2008

There is a Reason They Call This Thing Used!




Well, it didn't take long for us to realize that we are driving a used R.V.
After leaving Harrisburg about 1.5 hours later than we planned, we arrived at our first destination... the lovely and highly sought after Wal-Mart parking lot in Grove City, Pennsylvania. Realizing our VIP status, Sam Walton's folks made sure that the parking lot was basically empty and waiting (I'm sure it had nothing to do with us arriving at 12:30 a.m.).

It was a good night sleep, except for the rain storm that didn't think twice about dropping water through our raised roof vents. Fortunately, I (Mike) am a light sleeper and I was able to come to the rescue without waking my three cherubs and my lovely wife (oh, how the glow of sodium vapor parking lights on her sleeping face brings out Kathy's natural beauty).

The boys and I enjoyed a early morning 2.5 mile run to visit Grove City College (Kathy's and my alma matter). Upon our return, Kathy informed me that hers and Nicole's showers were a little cold. It seems I forgot to tell her how to turn on the hot water heater. Fortunately, she is a quick study and the boys and I enjoyed toasty water.

Here is where the fun really started. I figured that it would be a good idea to get the air pressure in the tires checked before the next leg of our journey so we pulled into a local tire store. There they informed me that one of our rear tires had dry rot and that we were excellent candidates for a blow out (how fun). Of course they didn't have the right tools but they were willing to drive 1/2 hour to their other store to help out. After 2 hours and $165 we were on the road.

So here we sit, in the parking lot of the Port Clinton Holiday Inn - borrowing their wi-fi connection and getting ready to check in at the R.V. park - albeit about 5 hours later than planned.

Hopefully, tonight will be a little less eventful!
By Mike

No comments: