Thursday, July 17, 2008

Mamma, Don’t Let Your Babies Grow Up to Be Pastors

Everyone has dreams that have never become reality. For me, my dream since I was a little boy was to be a military pilot. I came close a couple of times, but in the end it never panned out… partly because of things that I couldn’t control… partly because of choices that I made.

Deep inside of me that dream has never died, so when I get a chance to get close to that dream I take it. As we were driving through Rapid City, South Dakota, I noticed a sign for the South Dakota Air and Space Museum. Fortunately, Kathy is very flexible so we took a little detour.

While Mikey, John, and I visited the museum and took a tour of Ellsworth Air Force Base, Kathy and Nicole found a strip mall and of all things stopped into a little skin care shop owned by a Jamaican woman named Angelique. What a Jamaican woman is doing in Rapid City, South Dakota is a story for another day, but Kathy and Nicole enjoyed their visit… but I digress.

Although the museum was simple and relatively small, the boys and I had a blast. We saw General Eisenhower’s personal B-25 from World War II, a B-52 Superfortress, a B-1 Lancer, and a variety of other aircraft. And although I’ll never be a Military Pilot, at least I look good standing beside a T-38… and that has to be worth something.

As I consider the whole idea of unfulfilled dreams, it seems to me that you can respond to them in one of two ways. One way is to get depressed and discouraged… angry at God… angry at others… angry at yourself… and basically live a lousy life. The other way is to realize that God is ultimately in control… that he has a plan… it may not be one that you want… it may not be one that you like… but ultimately it with be the best for you… the best for others… and it will bring to him.

Well I’m a pastor and not a pilot… at least they both start with the letter “p”… and while I would love to have flown for the military, I know I’m doing what God wants me to do. And besides what other job can you have that lets you take eight weeks off to drive across the country with your family?

The heart of man plans his way, but the Lord establishes his steps. Proverbs 16:9 (ESV)

By Mike

1 comment:

FindingTheNewNormal said...

Pastor Mike,
Excellent post! I am praying for you guys. So good to see you are all having a great time!