Sunday, July 6, 2008

Can Thelma Be Trusted?


I must confess that it was love at first sight. There in the back corner of the Colonial Park Best Buy was the girl of my dreams. She was beautiful, slender, dark, somewhat mysterious and best of all she was a model. Actually she was model 260w... Garmen Nuvi 260w to be exact. Yes, the girl of my dreams was a GPS (Global Positioning System receiver for those who have been living a technologically sheltered life).

Ever since Kathy and I started planning this trip, I dreamed of purchasing a GPS. After all, you can't drive 8,000 miles and use maps (can you?). It was easy to justify.

With a GPS, if we are running low on gas, we can find the nearest gas station.

With a GPS, Kathy doesn't have to read maps, so she can spend more time reading books (how sacrificial of me?)

With a GPS, I become one of those cool guys with a suction cup on my windshield. That sealed the deal!

And so on the night before our trip, I took the plunge... I walked down the aisle... asked the salesman for his permission to take her, and I made Nuvi 260w my own.

As I considered my new relationship, I began to realize that calling her Nuvi 260w was a tad to formal, so I decided to give her a new name. I chose Thelma in memory of those wild... cross country driving women... Thelma and Louise.

Like any new relationship, Thelma couldn't do anything wrong. Right out of the box, she took our family from Harrisburg to the Wal Mart in Grove City. After that she flawless took us from Grove City to Port Clinton, Ohio. Yes, things were going great... great that was until we needed Thelma to really perform.

With 11 p.m. approaching, my eyes beginning to glass over, and the kids getting a little cranky about sleep, I asked Thelma to find the nearest Wal Mart. Without hesitation, she plotted a new course. Only 20 minutes away and the Leonzos would be at rest for the evening.

"Take exit 143..." we did.

"Turn right in .6 miles..." we did.

"Drive straight 2.6 miles..." we did.

Up one dark country road... down another... every command Thelma issued, I carefully followed.

"You have arrived at your destination..." Unfortunately, Thelma's idea of a Wal Mart was an abandon gas station in the middle of You Can't Get There from Here, Wisconsin.

Hey Kathy, where did you put those maps?
By Mike

No comments: