Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Putting In Some Time in Put-In-Bay


I know that this blog isn’t chronological, but being a road warrior out on the open road (as us RV’ers are fond of saying) doesn’t lend itself to writing on a regular basis… but I wanted to talk about the great time that we had in Put-In-Bay, Ohio so I will put aside my anal retentiveness and write out of sequence.

Put-In-Bay is a small island about a 20 minute ferry ride from Port Clinton, Ohio. Kathy, the kids, and I parked our RV on the mainland, unloaded our bikes from our bike carrier (a 20 minute process), donned our helmets, and peddled off to the ferry to join literally hundreds of people who had come to enjoy the island on the 4th of July.

Before we knew it, we were transported to another world… a world where golf carts, mopeds, and bicycles rule the roads. We had a blast. Riding bikes to the town; skipping stones into the lake, eating ice cream at Dairy Queen, and the boys and I riding to the top of a 300+ foot tower that was erected in the early 1900’s to commemorate the truce that ended the War of 1812 and cemented peace between the United States, Great Britain (we love you Pastor Andrew), and Canada.

In a nutshell, Put-In-Bay was absolutely wonderful and in a few of years, it will be Kathy's and my vacation destination for a week without the kids.

By Mike

No comments: